This Circuit Breaker has greatly changed the way we get our food. I’ve been discovering a lot of new ways to get food without having to step out of the house or having to pay service fees of $3.99 for groceries delivery.
Frozen and Co is one of the better grocery sites I’ve found, offering some items that I seldom see on the market, at rather competitive prices!
I took some time to decide to give Frozen and Co a try because its website appeared to be a bit lacking in choices (they have added more items now though, along with the very trendy Freezepak nuggets) and I had thought $80 would be hard to hit to get free delivery. I was also scared that the food I was going to order will taste weird and inferior because I’ve never seen most of the brands on the website before.
It turned out that I was a noob in food indeed because when I shared the website with a neighbour later on, she excitedly shared with me which brands were nice and that she did not mind ordering some groceries with me to hit the minimum.
I managed to hit $80 on my own though because I bought quite a few items in the end, and all of them tasted super nice!!!
The prawns were super plump and fresh; the cheese Tater Tots (which they named as cheese potato nuggets) were big and satisfying; the mozzarella cheese was super stretchy and delicious, perfect for pizzas; and the hot dogs tasted like what you find in our local hotdog breads, which I happen to love.
Anyway, I’ve already made quite an amount of meals with the foodstuff I’ve bought and I would like to share a recipe of something I have made because it was such a satisfying and value-for-money dinner. The rest of my meal recipes will be shared on my Facebook page.
Firstly, let me share the main ingredients for my dish.
Oh my god. The size of these prawns are as advertised. What you see is what you get. When I opened the box containing these prawns, I shivered because they were so big and they looked alive. It takes real courage to handle these dudes if you are a noob cook like me.
I managed to conquer my fear to take 1 photo to show you its size after thawing.
What I like about Frozen and Co is that they list down the origin country of the item.
These tater tots make a great side dish or afternoon snack. Just pop them in an oven or air-fryer for 10 to 15 minutes! This is the best Tater Tots I have ever eaten. If you disagree, please let me know where to buy a better brand. I have never seen this brand before and was really taking a chance with it and they turned out so wonderful!!!
Anyway, when I saw the size of the prawns which were as big as a lobster’s tail, and then saw the breakfast buns on my countertop, it just clicked in my head that I had to try making a ‘Lobster’ Roll! Yes! Poor me still can’t find it in myself to fork out $50 for one lobster roll. At less than $10 per pax, I believe I can make something as good, if not better! And I did! It was easy too! I urge you to try!
Recipe for King Prawn Roll
cost of meal: about $18 (less than $10 per pax for such a substantial meal!)
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 2 King Prawns, thawed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and diced
- mayonnaise or tartar sauce or both (personally preferred tartar sauce!!! I used kewpie brand I bought from NTUC at a promotional price. Very cheap, I remember.)
- black pepper (optional)
- spring onions (for garnish, optional)
- 2 bread rolls
- wedge of lemon (optional)
- spring onions (for garnish, optional)
- Tater Tots (for a complete meal)
- Fill a pot/wok with water and add some salt. Bring water to a boil, then place thawed prawns in it.
2. Boil the prawns for about 8 to 12 minutes. They are ready when their shells turn bright red/orange.
3. Peel and dice apple.
4. Peel prawns, remove prawns’ intestine and chop prawns into bite-sized chunks. Throw prawns and apples into a mixing bowl. Mix them together with mayonnaise or tartar sauce. Season with black pepper. Garnish with spring onions.
5. Bake Tater Tots in oven, 180 degC for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Slice bread roll in half.
7. Heat up butter using medium-low heat.
8. Use bread to soak up butter.
9. Assemble prawn salad on bun. You may squeeze your lemon at this step over the prawn fillings.
10. Your Tater Tots should be done by now. Put everything nicely on a plate and serve!
I hope you will enjoy this meal as much as I did!
There are a lot of new items on Frozen and Co now ever since I bought my first bag of groceries from them. I can’t wait to try them!
Anyway, if you are considering to buy from them, these are my personal recommendations:
- King Prawns, $49.90 (6 to 8 prawns, now at an offer price of $35)
- Prawns, $23 (13 to 15 prawns. These tasted as fresh as the King Prawns but at a more manageable size and price.)
- Cheese Potato Nugget, $10 (but now at an offer price of $9)
- Chicken Hot Dog, $1.50 (taste like bakery-used hot dogs!)
- Tortilla Wrap Burnt, $7 (12 delicious pieces!)
- Freezepak Chicken Nuggets, $8 (bundle promotion has better price!)
- Anchor Mozzarella Cheese, $30 (2kg pack, insane stretch, best for pizzas!)
Will be adding on to this list if I like the food after trying them! Hope this is helpful!
Frozen and Co
Delivers the next day if you order before 6pm.
Purchase $80 for free delivery!